Do you need a “Judge” to make a decision about the issues in your matter? Do you want that decision to be binding on you and your partner? Are you keen to avoid protracted court proceedings?. If so, then Arbitration could be the right process for you.
What is Arbitration?
Family Arbitration is a voluntary method for resolving disputes in relation to children or finances by the joint appointment of a private judge (the arbitrator), who is trained and accredited by IFLA (the Institute of Family Law Arbitrators). The Arbitration is agreed to be binding.
Arbitration can take place at any stage in any suitable location. It can be used to determine a single issue or resolve the whole dispute. It is a uniquely bespoke and flexible service – you are in the driving seat as to how you want your arbitration to run. In a suitable case the arbitrator’s ability to reach a determination on the papers without a full hearing can be of real benefit where a speedy decision is required.
Unlike the court process, where continuity of judge is often an issue, the same arbitrator will be involved throughout you case.
Benefits of Arbitration
- You select your ‘judge’ from a panel of qualified Family Law Arbitrators;
- The Arbitrator is continuously and directly involved once appointed;
- Confidentiality, adaptability and flexibility within the bespoke process;
- Arbitration avoids delays resulting in speed and costs savings compared with the conventional litigation route;
- Suitable for those who cannot agree or have already reached impasse using other dispute resolution methods;
- Can be combined with both mediation and private FDRs to resolve outstanding issues;
- Finality and enforceability.